My wife and I bought this trailer in June of 2012. It’s a 2007 Surveyor 192T, 19ft. Hybrid It was in great condition, without any visible problems. After bringing it home it sat in our driveway for us to get it ready for camping. After a hard rain storm, I noticed BUCKETS of water pooled in the folded up bed canvas. The problem was the hybrid bed door only had a rubber seal on the camper side, and nothing on the inner door. I picked up some nice rubber seal, and attached it to the inner door, and that kept ALL the water out! The below was our first trip with it!
We continued to use the trailer for the remainder of the year, and throughout 2013. No problems! But also no preventative maintenance. During the winter of 2013/2014, I went into the trailer to get something, and noticed the floors were crunchy. I felt like there was a layer of ice under the linoleum. This only means that water is now getting in somewhere. Spring came along, and we got the trailer out, and use it 3-4 times until about June of 2014. We could feel the floor getting soft at the door, and decided it was time to pull the linoleum and see what’s going on underneath.
The floor in this trailer is Styrofoam, sandwiched between two layers of plywood. Under the floor is a black fabric that keeps the dirt and water out. Above the floor is one sheet of linoleum. I sliced the linoleum away from the walls, and doors, and peeled it back. I was met with a VERY wet layer of plywood. It was so wet, I could use my hands and break the plywood away. I took the top layer of plywood off, and was left with wet Styrofoam. After breaking a few pieces away, I saw the bottom plywood was wet also. I think this water came originally from the bed doors not being seals, but also because I’ve never re-sealed the roof, or any other joints since I owned this trailer. That’s the most important thing I’ve learned. Whether there are leaks or not, get up on the roof, and re-seal all cracked in previous caulking. As well, go over ALL joints on the sides of the trailer and make sure it’s all water tight. Don’t wait for a leak before doing this!
The problem with fixing this floor, is there are no joists. I cut the plywood, and Styrofoam away at the edge of the trailer, and by the door.
To rebuild the floor in that area, I used the trailers Frame rail, and screwed a L bracket to that piece of aluminum at the edge of the trailer. This allowed me to fill that area with regular wood. You can see that L bracket in the below picture. I then took the top later of plywood off the rest of the floor in that area, and filled it with 1/8″ plywood. I glued this new plywood down.
I then had to do the exact same thing by the front compartment door, between the dinette seats.
As well, the floor was a little wet under the couch. I pulled the linoleum here, and the Styrofoam was solid, but the top layer of plywood was wet. I peeled that away, and replaced the top layer.
This is the way I left the trailer for a year or two. I duck taped down some new linoleum just to get by for a couple years. Finally, in the beginning of 2016, I started to finish the floor.
First thing was to put a 3/8″ layer of plywood over the existing floor. I just wanted a little more support, and to make sure the surface was all level before installing the final product. To shape the plywood, I used sheets of Bristol board to create the template, then traced it onto the plywood. After the plywood was cut out, I placed it on the floor, used PL400 to glue it down, and then weight it for 24 hours. Here are some pics of that process.
Here are a couple videos I’ve made showing progress of floor, and also outside caulking.
Now that I have 3/8’s plywood over the whole floor, it’s time for the final product. I chose to use Vinyl Plank flooring by TrafficMaster. I chose the 12″ x 24″ tile, that snaps together with tongue and groove. I do have a few concerns with these tiles. They suggest installing between the temperatures of 18c, and 30c. Well, we haven’t had those temperatures yet this year, and am hesitant to install this outside of those temps. Also, I’m concerned about the shrinking and expanding of this product through the different seasons that we have, as well as the difference in temps from day and night. I have yet to complete this, and will update once complete! I will also be posting updates on this site as I progress.
UPDATE – April 25/2016. Floor is complete. See video below regarding the tile flooring. I will continue to do video updates, and paste them here.
UPDATE – April 26 2016 – I finished the floor today, and put everything back in. See above video for tips, tricks, pros and cons.